Monday, November 17, 2008

"I put a monkey on a pedestal!"


So last week we and our friends, the Brooks, went out on the town in Seattle. We tried a Moroccan restaurant, called "Marrakesh" and the food and experience was fabulous! It was beautiful inside and and we got to sit a comfy cushions on the floor. They washed our hands because we ate with our hands! It was a lot of fun!
We also went to a newer musical called "The Drowsy Chaperone" and it was hilarious. We weren't really sure what to expect, just that it was funny and that it won quite a few Tony's.
The whole musical was a satire and making fun of a lot of the elements of musical theater - It starts with a narrator who is in love with the musical "The Drowsy Chaperone" (which of course no one has heard of!) The whole production basically takes place in his loft.
The Narrator

This is from my favorite song - "Bride's Lament" It was so funny, I almost peed my pants - Almost. Here are some of the lyrics so you can see why!
Janet: [sung]I put a monkey on a pedestal
And tried to make that monkey stay
And he did for a time
But he needed to climb
And with other monkeys play
Far away
He left his jacket on the pedestal
Beside his tiny rusty cup
And I haven’t got the strength
To pick them up
Oh monkey, monkey, monkey
You broke my heart in two
But I’ll always save that pedestal
For you
Come my little monkey
Come my little monkey, do

He knows the musical so well, he starts to sing along with Janet!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

LOL that sounds like a good show!! What a fun night!

So you have to tell me where this MOroccan restaurant is because ever since I saw the movie "Sabrina" with Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond I have wanted to sit on the floor at a Moroccan restaurant and eat like that. LOL Just havent' found one!